It's ok to be rigid

I like to try new things, have new experiences. As much as I love routines and procedures, you have to learn something to built those. As I grow as a gardener, as a cultivator, breeder, artist, craftsman--I try new techniques and disciplines. Knitting lead me to spinning, and eventually spinning to weaving.
As with many weavers, I made my start on the rigid heddle loom. My  first is an old 20" Easy Weave, bought on eBay in it's original box from the 70's. Obviously the first owner didn't find much joy in it, but I took to it like a fish in water. I recently bought an Ashford Sampleit, and due to the generosity of a friend, have a 22" Harrisville 4 shaft floor loom.
SS855751.JPG
12079582_1231471933545027_4455100630965691617_n.jpg
Rigid Heddle looms are recommended as starters, but just because I have the big loom doesn't mean the RH gets kicked to the curb. Sometimes I just want a scarf, call in the Sampleit, and sometimes a shawl project I can carry around. Call in the Easy Weave.

It' a fiddly thing, no ratchets, wingnuts to tighten, but I love it and it will except a 7 yard warp depending on the fiber. This week, I'm working on dish towels for a friend, using worsted weight cotton and a simple plain weave.

Comments

Popular Posts