Baby Angoras

Winter is usually a quiet time on the Microfarm, here in Ohio. As the leaves fall and the daylight hours wane, I prepare my garden for winter, and plan bunny breedings for the Spring. For the past few years, my rabbits haven't produced between October to April, except the one Jersey Wooly who faithfully has a litter at the start of the New Year.

I have tried all kinds of lighting---daytime lights on timers run for 14-16 hrs. What I got for my efforts was an added  light bill. This year I decided it was all an exercise in futility, and stopped the extra lights the first week of November.  It had been frightfully cold the past two winters; not this year. The unseasonable warm had a most welcomed side effect--- kits!

The first litter was by a Jersey Wooly, who unfortunately kindled on one of the colder days, out of the nestbox, and the litter did not survive. Next were the Angoras. In turn Buffy, then Bella, then Blossom. A total of 27 kits were born in 3 days. I have never been happier, now I have my most wanted Christmas present, and kits will be ready for Valentine's Day. Finally I will have Jr's to take to the Ohio Mini Convention.

I'm still waiting for the Rex to come around.


Comments

Popular Posts