WIP (Work In Progress Wednesday)- The Peppermint Cape





My house is a mess, and I have a head cold that makes it hard to concentrate, but that didn't keep me from starting a new project. Right now spinning is hard, so I decided to operate a machine with a sharp needle (hmm).

I am in love with capes, always have. There are already several in my winter collection, and I needed a pattern for the handwoven alpaca project I've been avoiding. Scouring the internet and Pinterest rewarded me with pretty simple design for a short cape. Even with a fever I could complete this one.

Climbing up into a 90F attic, I retrieved some heavy fabric stored in a chest for at least 13 years. It's been awaiting just the right cape projects, and there was enough for a full length cape, I just used the embroidered ends.

The downloaded pattern needed assembly, and I'm glad I did it before the head cold. I cut it out without alterations; the largest size said 14. I have wide, straight, softball player shoulders. This turned out to be the right decision later on.

No project goes without mishap--- I broke the blade on the largest rotary cutter, and made several other cutting mistakes I won't share. Some mystery pieces appeared, because they weren't in the directions I did not cut them out. (Never did figure out their purpose).

Otherwise it went fine. For this first mock up, I ran long basting stitches, and only  had to take them apart once. I could also argue with using two lines of gather, because in order to fit the sleeve, one line of gather was left exposed. Probably something else I did wrong.
It fit pretty snugly, despite being a 14 (I wear a 8-10). It's the shoulders. I plan to adjust the next pattern to allow me more room. 

Now the mock up is together and it's satisfactory, so I will run another line of stitches, press and add some kind of button that fits the fabric.

Here's the link to the pattern Peppermint Cape which should open in a new window.


Comments

Popular Posts