Spinning thin: Lacing the Louet

One of the things that drew me to the Louets was the versatility. The S17 is considered a workhorse, handling various weights and types of yarn with ease. The large orifice and bobbins easily accommodate bulky and novelty yarns. 

The one thing this Irish tension ((bobbin lead) wheel does not handle will is thinner yarns. I read repeated in reviews that fine yarns were impossible, if not very difficult. The uptake (pull) is too strong and will cause finer yarns to break.  Well, I didn't like fine yarns anyway. I like sport/worsted. I don't knit with lace, takes way too long. And later on, when I started spinning for socks,  if and when, that's what the spindles are for, right? 

To initially counteract the uptake of my "fiber alligator" I had already started spinning with the break band off. That was good enough to spin what I liked.

I mostly spin for projects, I couldn't wait to get the yarn off the bobbin and onto the needles. Now I'm learning to spin for spinning sake, making yarn I would never use, just "to see." 


The first time I got 128 yards from one ounce, a light went off. Lace became attractive. Spinning my own plying thread became attractive. A new way of looking at things. 

I am just now getting to the place where I enjoy spinning thin. 

Here's a Youtube video of how I lace my flyer. 


Lacing the Louet 




And since most people never get to see the finished product after the video, here's a picture of the of the single. If I ply it I will update this post with the finished yarn or item. 


Comments

Popular Posts