Spin to Weave Along Preparing to Spin the Warp

When I spin to weave, my first step is preparing fiber for the warp. While there is some debate about what types are yarn are suitable for warp, for the most durable warp, plan to spin a smooth, worsted yarn. Accordingly, my prep is worsted.



 Traditionally worsted preps are combed fibers (a lot of milled roving is combed top so a worsted prep), in my case, my current combs aren't really suited for what I need. Instead, I flick my fiber at each end, so the fibers stay aligned throughout the process.

Flicking with my large hand carder is pretty quick and efficient, and I don't get as much waste as I would combing.



The video below shows the process in detail.





 Thanks for joining me in this year's spin to Weave Along. If you haven't done so, visit me in the Facebook group Weaving with Handspun Yarns, or any of the other FB groups listed in the video description.





Comments

Popular Posts