Spin to Weave along estimating how much fiber you need to spin





When deciding what fiber to choose to spin, one factor maybe how much of it you have in your stash. I have whole fleeces, and multiple choices, I chose Finn. A starting point is calculating yardage. I used 2 different online yardage calculators, each gave me different numbers. That just tells you there is a bit of flexibility.
I decided to do the calculations by hand, using the formula in the Learning to Weave book. I like the form by Peggy Ostercamp, but I couldn't find my spinning journal, it's still packed. Find her form on her website. Once you've calculated your yardage, use your yarn weight, yards per pound, to estimate the ounces of fiber you need.
This is where sampling comes in. Weight some of your skeins at the thickness you want to use, for an estimate of your yards per pound.
So, I want sport, between 1300-1600 ypp. I'm aiming for 80-90 yards per ounce. I need approx 750 yards. Estimate 12 oz, but I'll just spin a lb to be sure.











I'm clearing out my Esty shop, visit here for this months sales.

Four Square MicroFarm

Comments

Popular Posts