WIP Wednesday --Mixing it up



Do you know someone who obsessively weighs out every blend of fiber? Keeps track of ratios? Yes you do, that's me. So many grams of this, and so many grams of that, and I wind up with little bits of left over fiber, in little baggies all over the shelf.

I finished the Finn Breed Study spin, the dyed yarn is drying, seemed like an appropriate time to clean. The little baggies caught my eye, and I wanted to put them to some use. I don't blend s lot. Mostly because I'm in breed study mode, some has to do with my drum carder, mostly it's because I don't feel the need--that's a different post.  Anyway, with all those little bits, an opportunity was waiting. Before I could stop myself they were all going into the drum carder, alpaca, Angora Rabbit, misc wools.




With a mystery spin, I could not predict how it would spin. My first assumption was this blend was Angora heavy, however a little Angora looks like a whole lot, eyeballing isn't very accurate. Angora quickly takes over a blend, and shares the smoothness with Alpaca, both call for extra twist in the spin.  That I was right on, but the tooth was better, two different Angora breeds plus the wool. So the spin was high twist but the ply was not.

I am satisfied with the final product. I imagine once it's washed and used, I should gt a nice halo. I think for my next few projects, I'll leave the scale on the shelf and try a few more experimental blends.


Comments

Popular Posts