New Toy and New Fiber--The Russian Spindle and Gotland

Let me tell you what NOT to do...

Don't start with a new tool/technique, and use a new fiber as well.

It's easier to familiarize yourself with a new toy when all other factors are controlled.
Of course that's too easy, and I never do things that way. I go on a whim, aka inspiration, and pair new tool with new techniques, like using hand spun singles with my new 4 shaft loom. Sometimes it frustrates me; never enough to prevent a occurrence.

Recently I fell in love with Orenburg shawls. Odd, because I don't like lace, not spinning or knitting. However, their beauty and craftsmanship are undeniable. My lightest spindle would certainly do the job, though I used the excuse to buy a Russian spindle. I try to buy local--this spindle came from Siberia. I ordered blindly on Etsy, waited nearly 2 weeks, and was thrilled with what I received. It is beautiful, well balanced, and the lightest spindle I have ever used.


When the 18MC Gotland arrived from Katelyn at  VanHaitsma's Pixie Place, it was the obvious choice for a test run. My samples for the last few months were only 1 oz, this generous 4 oz sample is a gift.

And I am a total sucker for curls. now hoe do I describe Gotland so you will instantly fall in love? Smooth and silky, springy, sparkling natural gray. Like polished silver. 

The prep was washed and hand flicked at the start; I quickly learned the Russian spindle wouldn't allow me to spin the way I usually do. A smoother prep was needed. Drafting while the spindle turned was out too, back to the park and draft. Oooo, taking me back to basics.


I had to completely tame those curly locks, teasing into a cloud. I am not after super smooth yarn, just something manageable for this method.












And I admit it was slow------going. Flicking off the tip, park and draft, winding back on the shaft, and again. And it was rewarding. And beautiful. And...
















Finished. 147 yards for the first two ounces, and something close for the second, somewhere around sport weight. I plan to use as a single, the project yet to be determined.

Comments

Popular Posts