Whipping up some hair love


 I haven't soaped in a long time. A girl can only use so much soap.
 I have a soap stash that would probably last me for the next three years.


No soaping in the future for me. Plenty of body cream and lip balm already. Hair butter was the next logical choice.  I have high porous, Afro kinky hair, dry and prone to breakage. I have tried so many hair products I could write reviews (maybe I should), and pretty much have not found anything I really like.

I analyze and agonize over everything. Took about two weeks, until I decided on Shea Butter, Coconut, Avocado and Grape seed oil, with a body safe peppermint fragrance. Most of these items are available in the baking section of any food store.
The Shea and coconut were melted in the microwave. If you don't melt the Shea all the way through, the resulting butter will be grainy. Now I wish I had measured the amounts, because it took at lot of tinkering until I found the consistency I wanted. After what seemed like two hours of blending (yes that is my drill), it is decent.  So I will see how this compares to the store bought stuff.


So moving on I spun a little yarn from my fiber stash. Some Angora I dyed blue two years ago, with natural black Angora and nylon. The nylon is not something I normally use. I bought it for sock yarn blends a while ago, and I thought I was reaching for the bit of Merino roving I kept. When I realized what it was, knowing Fauxgora is just nylon, I used it anyway. The color reminds me of storm clouds, it's plied with hand spun silk thread.



This was knit into a simple cowl, pictures to follow.

Comments

Popular Posts