Pockets: bringing the past to my present

I would love to make a complete historical outfit, now that I've narrowed down the time frame I'd most like to work. However, due to budget and time constraints, plus the problem that I have no where to wear such and outfit, I have yet to do so. Instead I work on small projects, accessories and trims, that could eventually prove useful once I am able to fulfill my wishes.

The historical lace projects was so much fun, and I'm planning to complete a knit jabot once my other projects clear up. I finished a simple bonnet and haube a few weeks ago. Maybe I should post pictures...  A pattern for an Edwardian blouse is in my e cart, the challenge for the Historical Sew Fortnightly in August is extant garments, for which I plan to make a chemisette from a Met Museum picture. But for this month, I am fascinated by pockets.


As in past times, my skirts seem to be completely lacking pockets.  There are many tasks I do that would make wearing a purse inconvenient, and I've never liked them much anyway. When I was a school teacher I always had an apron. So this was a great opportunity make something historical that would be useful in my modern life.

While a historical apron would cover a good deal of my modern skirt, a pocket is just a little something off of the side, small and quick to make, and I could do up plenty to match whatever I'm wearing. Off to Pinterest I went-- ohhing and ahhing at all the beautiful embroidered examples. Eventually I'll have that kind of patience, but as of now, I just wanted to have a quick mock up. I received several yards of fabric from an old college friend, and boy has it come in handy.

I took my main inspiration from the tutorial website from the Victoria and Albert museum Make Your Own Pocket .   The shape was freehanded using a standard sheet of computer paper; I cut 2 lining pieces and 2 outer pieces. My entire item was hand sewn, and for the most part, I hand sew all of my historical projects, as it's important for me to really get the feel of things.








Comments

Popular Posts