One Too Many

I do hate to have too many gaps in posts. Seems that I had one too many projects going on, and a jumble of thoughts. I scribbled in my journal as I went, but failed to make any posts, and they are all going to come in a rush in the next few weeks.

I can say that I am very proud of myself. Last year, I decided I wanted to see how singles would hold up in weaving. I am not (was not) a very proficient spinner of singles, and I had a great belief that they would not behave properly in knitting or weaving. Had... The first attempt was on the 4 shaft, medium twist Tunis. Worked out wonderfully, and I moved on to Jacob on the SampleIt, for a repeat success. Two weeks ago I dug out a 4 year old skein of overly twisted, energized singles. Badly dyed and knotted in several places, looked over many times, it was warped without care onto the SampleIt. Confession is good for the soul, if you had seen this yarn prior you'd see why I'm impressed with the results. Not only did it not recoil into an ugly mass after finishing, but the cheesy attempt at variegated yarn actually looked quite well once woven. I always say knitting covers a multitude of sins, now I'm thinking weaving makes them go away.



                                                                                    With one color obstacle down  I warped again with one of the Iris Alpaca yarns. Each yarn is dyed in one long color change, then plied, leaving spaces where the old color overlapped the new. I meant them for knit shawl color changes.For weaving, not only would the warp change, but the weft. Thinking of it sent me into color spells. However, the colors didn't clash, the warp dominated and the weft faded harmoniously into the background. Turns out there was nothing to fear after all.


Last on the RHL was another inkle band. I remind my readers that inkle just means "narrow", and doesn't actually have anything to do with what device the narrow band is woven on. I used to think I could not weave narrow bands until I bought and inkle loom. Not true, and I am glad, because I much prefer my RHLs. Anyway, this band is what I've been practicing for, using hand spun. Jacob, which I love, as the fiber of choice. It proved to be grabby and springy as never before; I can only figure it's because of the amount of draw in necessary to produce a proper band.










I loved it more than anything, mostly because the wool has a weight and a feel unlike the previous test cottons. And it's a traditional fabric. 

Right now I'm working as many Baltic pickup patterns as I can find, with the snowflake pattern in Anne Dixon's Pattern Directory in the hopper, with hand spun Leceister Longwool. 


Comments

Popular Posts