The Loom is Warped (or maybe I am)

I've done a slew of projects on the 20" and 8" rigid heddle looms. However, I find the 22 inch  4 shaft Harrisville Loom  frightening. It's not that it's much wider, but there are more shafts, foot treadles, and hundreds of metal heddles that slide all over the place, increasing the risk of threading errors.

Excuses, excuses.  I was just afraid.

After a few months of spinning for this project (I got sidetracked) I figured it was time. As aforementioned, the Peppermint Cape was a precursor to this one. Total yardage was 1680, the most I've ever dedicated for one project. The cape pattern was very general, I estimated that I would need 4 yards based on a 22" width minus shrinkage.
The 2-ply alpaca was very gracious, during warp prep and dressing, tangled very little, and I was able to shake those out.

Before you start thinking that I'm so good that nothing goes wrong, the tension still was off, and I had to rewind the wrap. I did so without unthreading the reed; it's not perfect, but it's workable.




The threading pattern is 5 black, 5 gray, 2 over dyed gray, with one misc black ribbon as a test. I love the ribbon, so expect more in the future. I didn't draw this out, don't quite know how to yet, and I had no idea what it would look like besides the diagonal dashes slanting upwards. Straight draw, producing a twill, and boy does it look cool first gray against black, then black against gray.



Ok, back to weaving.



Comments

Popular Posts