Yes you can weave with your handspun

One of the joys of being a mostly self taught weaver is not being bogged down with "you can't do that" attitudes. I do prefer to do as much research as possible before I attempt something, and sometimes there is not as much around as I would like, so I'm on my own.
I belong to several FB weaving groups; love those folks, but most use commercial weaving yarns. I'm not against them, not knocking anyone. It's just that I am a spinner, determined to use my very own hand spun.
Can you imagine the reaction? Everything from "that's nice dear, good luck" to "hand spun is inferior to commercial yarn" to "you can't use hand spun for warp." It sounds sensible that you can't use hand spun for warp, you need something stronger, like commercial, until you take a good look at history.

Well let's look. Woven cloth has been the go to thing for
millennia. Predating written history are images of woven fabrics on potsherds, and the earliest archeological artifacts recovered are net gauges, spindles needles and weaving sticks. Immediately images of rough garments may come to mind, but think about this, what appears to be fine linens recovered from Egyptian sites, and the beautiful draped clothing depicted in ancient Greek statues are certainly not derived from rough  yarns and methods.

Textiles from the past are preserved across the world, silks from China, and some of my favorite European historical eras. All those fine textiles were produced by hand, by hand spinners, with drop spindles and looms until around the 15th century I believe, when the spinning wheel was introduced. And until the Industrial revolution, all textiles were hand produced.

So tell me why would hand spun be inferior to commercial yarns in regards to weaving?

Next-- what makes a good weaving yarn?


I'm working on a new Facebook group for those who wish to spin yarn for weaving.
Weaving with Handspun FB group

Comments

Popular Posts