What is handmade worth?



Some time ago I made a video on why handmade? Why do I make things? How much is handmade worth? How do you estimate the value of your items? 
 Outside of my niche of artisans, this is a pervasive, invasive and often evasive question, with an equally difficult answer. 
We tend to think of this world as mechanized, but whether you know it or not, there is hardly a thing that is made that doesn't touch human hands at some stage. 
  Even machine made clothes must be laid, joined, held, finished and folded by some human. At some point, it too is hand made. One thing that makes me different from those items is my hand is the sole hand in the entire process of most of my items. And as I am not mass producing anything, finished items have a "bespoke" quality. 
  Though I've touched on this several times across several videos, I wanted to make one with a nearly complete walk through of the entire process to finish a piece, with a twist, I added up the time it to to finish, with the idea of giving you a good estimate of time and labor costs. 
So what does handmade cost, and why so much? Watch the video below. 



Just for fun here's a photo of the tracking sheet I made at the end. Even without the video I think it speaks for itself.

It really brings home for me what my prices should be if I was actually adding up what I am putting into my work...




Comments

Popular Posts